The New Patriotic Party (NPP) has assured its stakeholders that the party has commenced comprehensive investigations into the incidents of violations and infractions which occurred during the party’s Super Delegates Conference held across the country last month.
According to the party, the outcome of the investigations, being spearheaded by the Elections and Disciplinary Committees would be readily made available to the general public.
This was contained in a press release signed and issued by the party’s General Secretary, Mr Justin Kodua Frimpong yesterday, to acknowledge the withdrawal of Mr Alan Kyerematen from the presidential primary.
The release further clarified that persons who would be found culpable of any wrongdoing would be held accountable.
In a rather shocking twist of event, a stalwart of the NPP and a contender for the upcoming presidential primary, Mr John Alan Kwadwo Kyerematen withdrew from the November 4th race.
In a statement to announce his withdrawal on Tuesday, Mr Kyerematen cited an alleged plot to strategically and tactically skew the elections in favour of one particular aspirant as a reason.
Mr Kyerematen, who had placed second to President Akufo-Addo in all NPP presidential primaries since 2007, shockingly came third during the Super Delegates elections held last month.
Vice president Dr Alhaji Bawumia, who was in the race for the first time, made a giant impact by placing first at the expense of Mr Alan Kyerematen and other old faces. The vice president received convincing endorsement from his party super delegates, with 629 votes out of the 923 total valid votes cast.
The second position went to Mr Kennedy Agyepong, who managed 132 votes, pushing Mr Alan Kyerematen to the third position with 95 votes.
In his letter to withdraw, Mr Kyerematen said: “After having carefully analysed the results of the said elections, it is absolutely clear to me from events leading to, during and after the elections, that the Special Delegates Conference was strategically and tactically skewed in favour of one particular Aspirant”.
Meanwhile, there were widespread reports of attacks on some agents of Mr Kyeremanten, whose popularity, according to some election watchers, has deteriorated with time in the party.
Mr Kyerematen has, however, downplayed the assertions that his fortunes in the party have dwindled, but rather blamed the situation on what he termed as intimidations and schemes.
“The fact that my Polling Agent in the North East region has suffered severe damage to his eye sight, arising from his bold and courageous effort”, he said, was partly responsible for his decision and what he termed as intimidations.
“The question I keep asking myself is, how did we get here as a Party in the first place, and how far are we prepared to tread on this dangerous path to self-destruction?
“Regrettably, I am not convinced that the circumstances I have referred to earlier will not persist or even be escalated in the next round of elections, for which balloting is scheduled for Wednesday, 6th of September 2023.
“In light of the foregoing, I wish to confirm that I am honourably withdrawing from the process that will lead to the Presidential Primaries to be held on the 4th of November 2023,” he explained.
Meanwhile, his withdrawal is viewed by many as a blessing to the other aspirants, particularly the vice president and Mr Kenndey Agyepong, who were first and second in the race respectively.