April 12, 2024

Aggrieved Customers of defunct Menzgold Ghana Limited have hailed the expeditious manner in which the trial of Nana Appiah Mensah, Chief Executive Officer of the gold dealers firm is progressing.

This was after Edward Otu Larbi, a Sale Manager who was called as the Second Prosecution Witness was discharged on the same day he appeared in Court to give evidence.

So far, two out of the 11 witnesses expected to be called by the Prosecution have been dealt with in two sittings, which makes the March projection given by the Court to deliver judgement very much possible.

In Court on Monday, January 15, 2024 the second sitting after the trial officially began on December 20, 2023, the Witness told the Court that his total investment of GHc1, 290, 000 is locked up in Menzgold.

He also told the Court that all promises given him by NAM1 and Menzgold were not honoured before the Company was shut down.

He was subsequently discharged by Justice Ernest Owusu-Dapaa, a Justice of the Court of Appeal sitting as an additional High Court judge after lawyers of NAM1 led by Kwame Boafo Akuffo concluded his cross examination.

EIB Network’s Legal Affairs Correspondent, Murtala Inusah is reporting that the prosecution led by the Director of Public Prosecution Mrs Yvonne Atakora Obuobisa is expected to call their third and fourth witnesses on Wednesday, January 17.

Frederick Forson, Public Relations Officer of the Aggrieved Menzgold Customers said they welcome the manner in which the trial is progressing speedily.

NAM1 had on Friday December 8, pleaded not guilty to 39 counts on an amended Charged Sheet filed by the Prosecution on November 16.

They include a count each of selling gold contrary to section, operating deposit-taking business without license and inducement to invest.

The others are – 22 counts of defrauding by false pretenses, seven counts of fraudulent breach of trust and seven counts of Money Laundering.

The latest Charged Sheet though similar to the previous one, the GHc1.6 billion total sums in the previous charged sheet has reduced to GHc340 millions.

EIB Network’s Legal Affairs Correspondent, Murtala Inusah, who was in court reports that Justice Owusu-Dapaa said his Court is open to the option of Plea Bargaining if the parties wish to explore that option.

The testimonies of all 11 witnesses for the Prosecution are expected to last for 35 hours.

See also  Bawumia is a liar; he can’t be repackaged for Ghanaians – Asiedu Nketia

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *